Corners of the gallery
Sasternea is a 16th century house which was founded by the Goyeneche family of the palace of Iturraldea of Arizkun.The house is first mentioned in the parochial archives of 1564. All indications are that the battery embrasures on the second floor as well as the bombardone found in the loft were used in the defense of Navarra against the Castillian invasion. The last battle of Basque resistance against the invader took place in 1522 in Amaiur (Maia), about 5 kilometers from Arizkun.
It is in Astrearena (the old name of the house) where Xabier Soubelet´s studio and permanent exhibition are now located. The house also serves as the center for the cultural society Xubiltz.